The current market is now transforming towards automation, intuitive customer experience, machine learning, and connecting enormous devices to leverage data and workflows. To move with the trend, the enterprise has to move faster but few outdated patterns make it slow down. The factors such as IT incidents, customer requests, HR cases have also slowed down the process. ServiceNow helps to speed up this process by providing solutions with proper structure and process automation to accelerate the speed of work. This tutorial covers the concepts about the purpose of using ServiceNow, what is ServiceNow, capabilities, ServiceNow installation, report creation, importing sets and transform maps.
The Purpose of using ServiceNow
The ServiceNow is designed with intelligent workflows to speed up the work process by providing solutions to the unstructured work patterns. Each employee, customer, and machine in the enterprise are related to ServiceNow and it allows us to make requests on a single cloud platform. Various departments working with the requests can assign and prioritize, collaborate, get down to root cause issues, gain real‑time insights, and drive to action. This workflow process helps the employees to work better and this would eventually improve the service levels. ServiceNow provides cloud services for the entire enterprise. The following reasons explain why ServiceNow is integral to an enterprise:
IT: ServiceNow increases agility and lowers costs by consolidating legacy tools into a modern, easy‑to‑use service management solution in the cloud.
Security Options: The security can collaborate with IT to resolve real threats faster. To implement this it uses a structured response engine to prioritize and resolve incidents based on service impact.
Customer Service: Customer service drives case volume down and customer loyalty up by assessing product service health in real-time. It works across various departments to quickly resolve service issues.
HR: ServiceNow facilitates HR to consumerize the employee service experience with self‑service portals and enables them to gain the insights they require to improve the continuous service delivery.
Building Business Apps: ServiceNow helps all the departments to quickly build business applications and automate the processes with reusable components to accelerate the innovation.
Now Platform: The Now Platform delivers a System of Action for the enterprise. The contextual workflows can be created easily and the business process is automated by using this single data model. Now Platform allows building the applications very easily at high speed. Applications are built by anyone from a business user to a professional developer. The application users on the Now Platform can make requests through service catalogues, find information in common knowledge bases, and be notified about the actions and information they need. Departments, workgroups, and even devices can assign, prioritize, collaborate, get down to root cause issues, and intelligently orchestrate actions to make your business move faster.
Non-stop Cloud: This feature of ServiceNow Nonstop Cloud is always set to on. The customer instance is never set to offline or taken down for any reason. With this unique, multi‑instance architecture the customers are allowed to fully customize cloud services and perform upgrades on their own schedule. Nonstop Cloud is highly secure and conforms to the highest levels of compliance and global regulations. It’s industry-leading, advanced, high‑availability infrastructure ensures instance redundancy between two data center clusters in every geography, scaling to meet the needs of the largest global enterprises.
What is ServiceNow?
ServiceNow is a software platform that has the support of IT service management and common business processes automation. It consists of numerous modular applications that vary by instance and user. ServiceNow is an integrated cloud solution that combines five major services in a single system of record.
ServiceNow has started its journey with IT Service Management applications providing Service Catalog Management. The project management applications have followed later that helped in managing the entire project when the magnitude of the incident, problem, or change is more. Sooner, the Configuration Management Database(CMDB) also made its way into the list of applications. Now, ServiceNow has developed apps providing support for both IT Service Management Processes and IT Enterprise such as HR Management, Security Management, and PPM, etc.
The features such as instance-based implementation, ease of customization, better Support and low maintenance cost, real-time analysis, and reporting have made ServiceNow better than its competitors
Capabilities of ServiceNow
The ServiceNow capabilities involve providing services like Authentication, LDAP integration, orchestration, web services, enterprise portal, and mobile-ready.
The single sign-on (SSO) feature of ServiceNow has multiple provider SSO features. An organization can implement several SSO IDPs (Identity Providers) to manage authentication. The SSO permits a user to login into the application without providing any User ID or password. It uses the Windows ID and Password.
Organizations can use Active Directory for various purposes that may be to provide them access to applications or to maintain Outlook Distribution list; there are many usages. The LDAP integration is a small supporting unit for the ServiceNow tool, and it doesn’t require anything to code, it enables the simple configuration.
The orchestration capability of ServiceNow enables automating the complex tasks on remote servers in a simple manner. Once this Orchestration is implemented in any IT industry, the entire work is operated with less skill and workers. It can automate systems like VMware, Microsoft Exchange mail servers, etc.
The Platform provides the capability of publishing or consuming API at the same time. Web Services supports SOAP, WSDL, or REST API protocols. You can either create codeless API or Scripted ones.
A web portal is a major requirement for any organization where users can request access, service, or support. Present Enterprises are developing their ServicePortal to showcase their ServiceNow capabilities. ServicePortal also replaced the deprecated CMS site which was the old version of the portal but not as capable as ServicePortal.
In the present world, enterprise applications or services are enabled on mobile devices. It requires the ability to adapt to the changes to proceed further. ServiceNow makes it possible by using the forms and applications which are mobile friendly and can be published directly to the mobile without any specific development made on mobile devices. ServiceNow provides a web-based application for the mobile and a mobile native app for iOS and Android.
Let us see how to access the ServiceNow and Importing Sets. Apply the following steps to gain access to the ServiceNow application.
- Visit the following site “https://developer.servicenow.com/” and click on the “Register” menu.
Welcome to the ServiceNow Registration screen will be displayed.
- Provide the details of registration and then click the “submit” button.
- You will now see the account activation message on the screen. You have to check your inbox to activate your account.
- Once the Account is activated, sign in using the credentials which you have provided while registering previously.
- Accept the service agreement when it is displayed on the screen.
- Read and Accept the Developer Agreement when it is displayed on the screen.
- A survey page is displayed followed by a few questions, answer the Survey, and click Submit.
- You will be redirected to ServiceNow Dashboard, Click "Request Instance."
- Enter your reason to use the instance.
- Select the London Release when asked to choose the version.
- An instance will be processed which may take some time. In the dashboard, you will see the login credentials and login link.
- Clicking on the login link, you will be asked to change your password.
- At last, you would be able to see the Dashboard.
Let us now see how to create a report using the ServiceNow application. The following are the steps which you have to implement in creating a report.
Creating Report in ServiceNow
- Report creation.
a. To filter, type “report” in the Navigator.
b. You will then find many preconfigured reports.
c. Click on the “Create Report” button.
- On the next screen of report creation.
a. Enter “Report Name”.
b. Choose Data Source (Table).
c. You may see a message that the report is already configured. Ignore it.
d. Click the “Next” button.
- In the next screen of reports.
a. Click on the “Report Type”.
b. Click the “Next” button.
- In the next screen of the Edit report.
a. Select the Measurement. In this case, we have selected “Escalation”.
b. Click the “Run” Button.
c. Report is generated.
d. Click “Save” to save the report.
Importing Sets in ServiceNow
Imports Sets are an integral part of ServiceNow’s smooth functioning. These Import Sets allow the system administrators to import data from various data sources, and then map that data into ServiceNow tables. Once the import set is completed, the completed reports can be reviewed and import set tables are cleaned up. The information regarding the internal processing which occurs during an import is found by viewing the import log. Let us do this practically by importing a "sample.xlsx" data set and then mapping the data set to a ServiceNow table. You can download the data set here. A ServiceNow instance is required to perform this demo on your system.
- Search “Import Sets” and select “Load Data” under the System Import Sets module. Select the file you would like to import (In this case, the ‘sample.xlsx’ is our file shared in the above link) and click on the “Submit” button.
- Now, Click on the Loaded Data to review the data imported.
- The imported data set appears as shown in the below screen. You can then click on the “cog” setting symbol to personalise your table columns as per your needs.
- Let us now create an import set table. Let us create a Target table for Import Set, to do that goto “Filter Navigator” and type system definition click on “tables” and then “new”.
- Go ahead and name the label of the table as “Sample Table”. Next click on the “Columns” field to add column names to the table.
- Go ahead and add the column names to the table which you would like to map. Once it is done then click on the “Submit” button.
- The table is now created but it holds no records. This is how the record field looks as for now when you search for it in Filter Navigator.
- Next, let us load the imported data set. Apply the steps mentioned in the below screen.
- Once the data is loaded the state field displays as “Complete”. You can then click on the “Loaded Data” tab to view it.
- This is how the data appears as shown in the screen below.
- Let us customize the column list for simplicity.
- The below screen displays the customized view of the data which is imported.
Creating Transform Maps
Let us now create the transformation maps in ServiceNow. To do it you must go back to the previous page where the screen displayed the complete status after data is loaded. Apply the following steps for creating a transform map.
- Go back to the previous page and then click on “create transform map”.
- Provide the “Name” and Select the “Source table” and “Target Table” for mapping. Click on “Mapping Assist” for Mapping the fields. You can also auto map the fields by clicking on “Auto Map Matching Fields”.
- Once you click on “Mapping Assist”, both source and destination tables are available to manually map the fields you need.
- Let us go ahead and map the fields as displayed in the below screen and click on “Save”.
- Once you have saved the progress click on the “Transform” link.
- Click on the “Transform” button to confirm it again.
- In this step, the state field displays the value as complete to indicate transformation is complete.
- You can go ahead and type the name of the table (in this case “Sample table”) in the “Filter Navigator” to see the required fields and records. The below screen displays the same. Hence we have successfully imported the data set and mapped it to a table in ServiceNow.
Thus we have learned various capabilities of ServiceNow and how the workflow models help the employees to speed up the business process by offering the flexibility, power, and dependability to achieve the goals of the incident and problem management. The ServiceNow users are free to select their comfortable support interface. ServiceNow provides all the information to the technician to diagnose and repair issues while removing the dependency on spreadsheets and emails. We have also learned how to install ServiceNow and create reports, importing sets and creating transform maps.